Colour-changing artificial ‘chameleon skin’ powered by light-triggered nanoparticles
(Nanowerk News) Researchers have developed artificial ‘chameleon skin’ that changes colour when exposed to light and could be used in applications such as active camouflage and large-scale dynamic displays.
The material, developed by researchers from the University of Cambridge, is made of tiny particles of gold coated in a polymer shell, and then squeezed into microdroplets of water in oil. When exposed to heat or light, the particles stick together, changing the colour of the material. The results are reported in the journal Advanced Optical Materials (“Motile Artificial Chromatophores: Light-Triggered Nanoparticles for Microdroplet Locomotion and Color Change”).
In nature, animals such as chameleons and cuttlefish are able to change colour thanks to chromatophores: skin cells with contractile fibres that move pigments around. The pigments are spread out to show their colour, or squeezed together to make the cell clear.
The artificial chromatophores developed by the Cambridge researchers are built on the same principle, but instead of contractile fibres, their colour-changing abilities rely on light-powered nano-mechanisms, and the ‘cells’ are microscopic drops of water.
When the material is heated above 32°C, the nanoparticles store large amounts of elastic energy in a fraction of a second, as the polymer coatings expel all the water and collapse. This has the effect of forcing the nanoparticles to bind together into tight clusters. When the material is cooled, the polymers take on water and expand, and the gold nanoparticles are strongly and quickly pushed apart, like a spring.
“Loading the nanoparticles into the microdroplets allows us to control the shape and size of the clusters, giving us dramatic colour changes,” said Dr Andrew Salmon from Cambridge’s Cavendish Laboratory, the study’s co-first author.
The geometry of the nanoparticles when they bind into clusters determines which colour they appear as: when the nanoparticles are spread apart they are red and when they cluster together they are dark blue. However, the droplets of water also compress the particle clusters, causing them to shadow each other and make the clustered state nearly transparent.
At the moment, the material developed by the Cambridge researchers is in a single layer, so is only able to change to a single colour. However, different nanoparticle materials and shapes could be used in extra layers to make a fully dynamic material, like real chameleon skin.
The researchers also observed that the artificial cells can ‘swim’ in simple ways, similar to the algae Volvox. Shining a light on one edge of the droplets causes the surface to peel towards the light, pushing it forward. Under stronger illumination, high pressure bubbles briefly form to push the droplets along a surface.
“This work is a big advance in using nanoscale technology to do biomimicry,” said co-author Sean Cormier. “We’re now working to replicate this on roll-to-roll films so that we can make metres of colour changing sheets. Using structured light we also plan to use the light-triggered swimming to ‘herd’ droplets. It will be really exciting to see what collective behaviours are generated.”
Source: University of Cambridge
Subscribe to a free copy of one of our daily
Nanowerk Newsletter Email Digests
with a compilation of all of the day’s news.
— Read on www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news2/newsid=53439.php
- Biotechnology and nanotechnology September 27, 2019
- Thousands in China Exposed to ‘Mind Control’ Technology Seek Answers September 24, 2019
- Detecting patients’ pain levels via their brain signals | MIT News September 18, 2019
- Living sensors at your fingertips | MIT News September 3, 2019
- Stretchy optical fibers for implanting in the body | MIT News September 3, 2019
- Engineers 3-D print a “living tattoo” | MIT News September 3, 2019
- Robotic thread is designed to slip through the brain’s blood vessels | MIT News September 3, 2019
- Synthetic biological organisms designed and created for industrial process using genetic engineering August 29, 2019
- MIT engineers build advanced microprocessor out of carbon nanotubes | MIT News August 29, 2019
- Information about through the wall radar, and active radio wave effects on the human body, various surveillance technologies used against unsuspecting humans August 23, 2019
- Human hair as a nanoreactor in the synthesis of gold (and other) nanoparticles August 23, 2019
- Colour-changing artificial ‘chameleon skin’ powered by light-triggered nanoparticles August 22, 2019
- Detection of neuronal activity using microwave energy August 17, 2019
- A poem. June 2, 2019
- History of Morgellons disease: from delusion to definition May 24, 2019
- (no title) May 19, 2019
- Limits of Human Perception July 24, 2017
- evidence for the apparent existence of Invisible Terrestrial Entities of the first kind (ITE-1) & Invisible Terrestrial Entities of the second kind (ITE-2) or bright ITE July 24, 2016
- Parallel universes are no longer a figment of our imagination July 23, 2016
- toxoplasmosis changes behavior of host July 17, 2016
- Optogenetics Resource Center July 17, 2016
- Magic mushrooms’ psychedelic ingredient could help treat people with severe depression July 17, 2016
- Researchers identify gatekeeper neurons that control pain and itch | Science | The Guardian July 17, 2016
- Bumblebee’s electric field sensor identified | Science | The Guardian July 17, 2016
- Presidential Commission: Directed Energy Weapons Used On American Citizens in Tests July 17, 2016
- A Note on Timothy Trespas, Gang Stalking and the Gospel, by Bridget Howe. From:FaithWriters.com-Christian Encouragement – July 17, 2016
- SURVIVAL, EVASION, RESISTANCE AND ESCAPE MULTI-SERVICE TACTICS, TECHNIQUES AND PROCEDURES July 1, 2016
- TARGETING, GANGSTALKING, MORGELLONS, REMOTE-NEURAL-MONITORING,VOICE-2-SKULL, COVERT DRUGGING, ENERGY BASED WEAPONS, ATTACKS WITH FLEAS, MITES, VIRUS, BACTERIA, NEMATODE, NANOBOTS, SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY, NANOTECHNOLOGY, MICROWAVE WEAPONS, TRASHING THE VICTIM,COVERT DRUGGING, FUNGUS, MOLD, ERGOT, LSD,DMT, MIND-FUKING THE VICTIM, ETC, ETC , June 2, 2016
- In sickness and in… Timothy Trespas suffers from targeting and torture. May 30, 2016
- NOAA SPACE GEOMAGNETIC WEATHER Weather Scales 04-11-11 May 11, 2016
- Practical Real Time Spectrum Analyzer Applications Part 1 — Basics Of Interference Hunting And Spectrum Monitoring | Signal Hound May 10, 2016
- EPIC Sensor – Plessey Semiconductors May 5, 2016
- Some peculiarities of auditory sensations evoked by pulsed microwave fields – Tyazhelov – 1979 – Radio Science – Wiley Online Library May 4, 2016
- SHIELDING? Get SHUNGITE mineral -STONE OF HEALTH! Neutralize high-frequency electromagnetic radiation & they reflect all possible magnetic fields January 5, 2016
- Everyday benefits of Shield January 4, 2016
- The Herxheimer Reaction December 20, 2015
- MAX, our FRIEND & CAT has DIED…. R.I.P. MAX – YouTube October 26, 2015
- Mycoplasma incognitus – MicrobeWiki October 18, 2015
- Nanotechnology and forensics: nano-powders that have been engineered to be used in conjunction with SALDI-TOF2-MS.(Surface-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight (TOF)/reflectron (RTOF) mass spectrometry) August 1, 2015
- One paradigm is worth a thousand rules: How can we teach computers compassion (and stop humans from using them to hurt and kill!) ? Artificial Intelligence, Psychology, and theories of mind. August 1, 2015
- DSM-IV-TR: Diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia:- what the professional psychiatrists use to diagnose you as schizophrenic July 9, 2015
- amazing Nanotechnology – Images -materials science. Images can often convey information in a way that tables of data or equations cannot match May 26, 2015
- The 3D-architecture of individual free silver nanoparticles captured by X-ray scattering : Nature Communications : Nature Publishing Group May 26, 2015
- METALS IN MEDICINE AND THE ENVIRONMENT-Aluminum and Alzheimer’s Disease May 26, 2015
- FREQUENCIES! Sacred Harmonic Geometry – Understanding Resonance, Cymatics and the Chakras, May 26, 2015
- Know your target, know your molecule… May 26, 2015
- Living inside the body I call ‘me’… Thoughts on being who I am in a world containing 12 or so billion other human beings also experiencing life through their own eyes… May 18, 2015
- silver nanoparticles, light, color, and you. Nanotechnology: changing the world forever! May 11, 2015
- thoughts on our reality, constructs, and teh present situation. May 9, 2015
- Researchers succeed in light-controlled molecule switching May 3, 2015
- about electromagnetic torture, mind control, and remote neural monitoring by/in The U.S.A. – by TIMOTHYTRESPAS
- I an a victim of Covert Drugging with Millitary LSD like drugs… by TIMOTHY TRESPAS
- microbiology from inside my body, provided by slow-kill nanotechnology, weaponized biological attacks, synthetic biology, parasitology, human experimentation, microscopic investigation
- Trauma based Neuro-linquistic programming-How it works: a real life example from Timothy Trespas in New York City
- victim of extrajudicial covert human experimentation, torture, repeated drugging with military LSD like compounds, exposure to nanotechnology, foreign DNA implantation, remote neural monitoring, mind control, gang-stalking, gas-lighting, electrocution, poisoning, surveillance, and other human rights abuses by operatives and informants of the NEW SECRET POLICE. by Timothy Trespas
- Welcome to the 21st century- the NEW HOLOCAUST- how Mind Control, remote neural connectivity, artificial intelligence, the Military? & Government of the USA? o.k. the cooking of humans with Microwave directed energy weapons, and worse!
- What if? A theory on STRESS & ‘Targeting’
- 330 west 51st street nyc
- artificial intelligence
- brain mapping
- brain wave
- covert drugging
- genetic manipulation
- human experimentation
- microwave weapons
- mind control
- Mind Control is HERE NOW and being used on entire population in the USA and abroad. embedded microchip marking of all human assets via bio-nanotechnology is real, possible, and being done to us as we
- mk ultra
- new word order
- new world order
- no-touch torture
- petra schiller.
- quantum dots
- remote neural
- remote neural monitoring
- smart dust
- synthetic biology
- SYNTHETIC TELEPATHY
- targeted individual
- targeted individuals
- timothy trespas
- top secret